The OPITO approved Combined Rigger / Banksman Slinger Training Course (Stage 1) provides the introductory training program for personnel wishing to enter the workplace to undertake supervised tasks to become competent in Rigger and Banksman Slinger roles within the oil & gas industries.
The course provides a combination of theoretical and practical learning. The practical learning includes a wide variety of Lifting Operations and exercises on a large, purpose-built internal lifting frame together with the use of a large mobile crane within our external compound.
The course covers the following topics:
- Legislation, Regulations and Safety Issues
- Risk Assessment and Safe Systems of Work
- Definitions and terminology
- Introduction to Lifting Operations & Equipment
- The role of the Rigger
- The role of the Banksman
- The role of the Slinger
- Equipment identification and Selection
- Weight identification and estimation
- Basic Principles of Crane Operations
- Communications and visibility
- Conflicting Work Activities
- On and off-shore hazards and Dynamic Factors
- Environmental Factors
- Preparations for Lifting Operations
- Carrying out Lifting Operations (internally & externally)
- Restricted access, blind lifts and unbalanced load lifts
- Restoring the Work Area after lifting operations are completed
To successfully complete Stage 1 delegates must have demonstrated sufficient understanding of all of the learning outcomes for the course and at the end of day 3 and day 5 will be required to undertake a written test for Rigger and Banksman Slinger Training respectively. The delegates learning and understanding will also be assessed throughout the practical Lifting Operations.
The trainee Rigger and/or Banksman Slinger has two years from the date of issue of his/her respective Stage 1 Certificate to complete the worksite requirements outlined in the logbook and to obtain an OPITO approved knowledge screening certificate in order to progress to Rigger or Banksman Slinger Stage 3 competence certification.